Here at the Markland, we aim to make your stay a CAPE BRETON MEMORY.
With friendly staff on hand, we're here to show you the sights and sounds.
Our PRIVATE SANDY BEACH is a welcome for any visitor. Sit out on the chairs and spot the eagles, brave the ocean waves or stroll along the coastline - the ocean entertains by being itself.
Our POOL offers a comfort to those who want a more quiet dip without the ocean salt or jubilant waves.
FINE DINING and carefully SELECTED WINES make an evening complete. Live ENTERTAINMENT on weekdays and weekends is a real treat as we strive to celebrate local artists and their craft. Local music talent abounds. For the last 6 years, the Barra MacNeils have performed in our musical Octagon and we hope to carry on the tradition in 2019. Stay tuned!
The World Famous Cabot Trail
The Markland is just minutes away from the renowned CABOT TRAIL, named by the likes of Lonely Planet as one of the best road trips in the world. Cyclists, hikers and bikers can enjoy the invigorating landscape and find an enchanting place to rest at the Markland. With accommodating cottages, fine food, hospitality and the sounds of the ocean at your window... you'll find it a perfect completion to your Cabot Trail journey.
For those who have always dreamed of cycling the renowned Cabot Trail, the Markland makes a perfect starting and end point for this exhilarating 300km bike ride, considered one of the most scenic bicycle rides in all of Canada. Adventure is waiting outside your door.
Area Attractions and Activities
While staying at the Markland, you are just minutes away from a host of activities:
- Try the famous Highlands Links GOLF COURSE, only half an hour away from us.
- WHALE WATCHING tours are available just 20 minutes north in Bay St Lawrence. See whales frolic, seals swim, and eagles soar - the Atlantic ocean comes to life!!
- Cabot Trail Adventures offers GUIDED HIKES, KAYAK TOURS and CYCLE TOURS for all levels of experience.
- Canoe or Kayak with the family operated EAGLE NORTH CANOE & KAYAK and learn about the history of the region while paddling alongside oyster beds and the stunning highlands.
- Pick BLUEBERRIES until you're blue in the face at the best kept secret in all of Cape Breton.